Why does your boiler or furnace need an annual tune-up?
Every year, dust, dirt, and other
particulates that effect performance and efficiency build up in your boiler or furnace which can lead to a system that performs inefficiently and potentially cause much higher than normal utility bills. The best way to prevent this from happening
is to make sure that your heating system has a regular, annual tune-up performed by a professional technician.
Boiler or furnace annual tune-up benefits:
- Improves system efficiency. This improves the performance of your heating system and can lower your heating costs.
- Lowers the risk of your heating system breaking down by keeping it in good working order.
- Reduces the possibility of requiring major repairs - those emergency repairs also always cost more than any preventative maintenance like a tune-up.
- Potentially extends the life of your boiler or furnace.
What should be included in a professional boiler or furnace tune-up?
Any licensed and trained heating system technician should do the following during any tune-up to ensure that your system is running smoothly and efficiently:
Clean the system of any dirt, dust and grime.
- Check thermostat settings to make sure that they are energy-efficient and meet your home comfort levels.
- Reset boiler or furnace specifications, as required, according to manufacturer's recommendations.
- Check all safety components, electrical connections, motors and controls for safe and proper operation
- Inspect oil connections, pressure and burner combustion components
- Perform visual inspection of above ground oil tanks
- Check vents, drafts and flues for leaks.
- Inspect chimney base for any debris or signs of deteriorating liner
- Perform a safety inspection of the heat exchanger to ensure it’s not compromised, which could cause carbon monoxide leaks.
- Check the hydronic system for any leaks.
- Test for air flow and air filter, which if restricted, can affect system efficiency
- Check the condensate drain or condensate pump, if the system includes central air or a condensing heat system.
When should you schedule your annual boiler or furnace tune-up?
The best time to schedule your tune-up is between April and August every year. These are some of the smart reasons why:
- Your heating system has just come out of its heavy use winter season.
- It gives you some time to repair any potential problems that may arise from the tune-up before colder weather hits.
- If a technician determines that it’s time to replace your system, it gives you ample time to research and source a new, energy-efficient boiler or furnace and take advantage of any special offers rather than having to make a ‘snap decision’
due to necessity in colder weather.
- You beat the fall rush when it can be difficult to schedule a tune-up appointment. In the Spring and Summer, you have much more appointment flexibility.
A yearly comprehensive, professional boiler or furnace tune-up and inspection is essential for any age of heating system - older models as well as new. You should also keep all your tune-up records as proof of the inspection and service, which might be
needed if you ever need to file a warranty claim.
If you need a boiler or furnace tune-up, our team of home heating system experts are here to help you, any time. Give us a call to schedule your tune-up today!